Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mendel gear creation gears that failed to get a grip.



A pictorial record of gear creation gears that failed to get a good grip. 



By the way the face on the gear was an atempt to trigger face recognition on the camera.




It failed to get auto focus to work any better. 




A length of 1/2" brass kindly left by the previous owner of my house.



My second use of the floating steady with more olive oil added to the fingers to stop them squealing.



Cutting the brass bar to a useable lenght.

 
Brass is incredibly tough to machine it holds on to it tries to hold on no matter how hard you cut into it.



Cut to a size ready to make two of AK47's "worm gears"



From 12.5mm to 10mm the incredibly slow way.





Eventualy ending up with this



Making the worm using a 3mm tap lathe turning at about 200 rpm.


ready to test.



Free hand dremel drilling lookls ugly but works  to save making a new block to hold the variety of gears.


Well my badly made worm fails to grip any better back to the drawing board as they say..

Thus the splined shaft remains the best gripping extruder drive wheel that I can make



Experimenting with video with a short film on how not to make a worm gear.

At least a day wasted as my extruder is still no better than my first attempt!!

Glad I chose the Electronics apprenticship when I was offerd the choice of mechanical or electronics at my interview. 
Taking a working steam engine as well as a simple dial in adding computer to my interview meant I was offerd both. I chose the right one!

6 comments:

Casainho said...

Thanks!!! I don't have a lathe but I am trying understand what could I do with it.

I was curious on how to make the worm pulley since NopHead had very good results using it.

I whish I could make my own gears, and make the same extruder as NopHead...

:-)

Rob said...

You might have better look turning 'Macro' mode on when taking close ups with your camera rather than drawing a face :)

Anonymous said...

Hey shame about the worm gear, excellent lathe piccys though.

Did'nt the shoulders on the worm gear get in the way of the pinch roler ??

If they did it might explain some poor grip.

nophead said...

Why did you machine a V shaped groove before tapping? I think that is why you don't get enough grip. I just started with a cylinder and wound the tap in until it made an approximate semicircular groove.

John Gilmore said...

I don't think your video is nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I do have to admit that camera shake annoys me in may of the videos that I see online, but yours honestly wasn't bad.

I'm glad to hear nophead chime in, and I DO wonder what's really needed to make this work right, since I'm planning on trying amost exactly the same process.

What size tap where you using? Do we know what size tap nophead used successfully? I think the 1/4-20 taps I work with are a might large...

nophead said...

I used M3x0.6 and M4x0.7 as blogged here: hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2009/04/all-torque-and-no-traction.