Monday, September 28, 2009

Bertha cuts her own T slot work clamping base


Using the Dremel Key hole router bit 655 not quite its intended use but it works well once I figured out that 10mm a min was the best speed for a 7mm deep cut and almost the slowest speed on the look alike avoided MDF burning smell. so it takes 30Min's per slot to cut there are 19 slots ie every 20mm. I also learn a little G code in the process.



The process has identified that I forgot to put the collar back on the X axis drive shaft when I added the two extra runner on the X axis. Oops so there was a 2mm difference between the start point of the first X T slot to the start of the last X T slot. As the Slots are only for Clamping stuff down is no big problem tho.



The bigger problems are:-

Finding a reliable way to set spindle speed on the look alike.

Finding a way to stop the filters blocking on the hover when cutting MDF.

Modifications required:

Fit the Collar on the X axis.

Upgrade Y and Z Axis's to have motor couplers, bearings and collars like X instead of Plastic tube and tie wraps... Coupling... Thou neither the Y or Z axis had any measurable error like the X had.. the solution for X is more mechanically stable thou..

An electronic switch to turn the spindle on and off.

An electronic switch to turn the hover on and off.

Maybe make some kind of spindle speed detector to have complete control of spindle speed.
Post a Comment