Wednesday, September 16, 2009



A busy weekend in Gloucester making a Double door frame and fitting new hard wood doors to my Mom's house. So not much rep rapping or CNC~ing etc.. Any way here is a quick up date on Bertha and Big Bertha the projects.. Some brief details on the Big Bertha project blog. Slightly earlier than anticipated due to the success of Bertha.




Also last weekend I added the 2 extra runners on the X and Y axis of Bertha.




Bertha completed over 110,000 lines of G code using the pic to G code function of EMC2 I made the mistake of clicking on invert image so I stopped the G code some 120,000 lines early. lessons learnt dont make the first real job for your CNC a big one a 9.4 MB Gcode file is > 200,000 lines of Gcode set the feed rate higher than 120mm a min and a cut of depth 0.1mm.

So the carve a logo exercise ended up as one long soak test.
Great result though Bertha did not fall apart it did not lose position and the low cost look like a Dremel did not fail. Other lessons learnt you need a fan for the X Axis motor or run it at < 2A. An aborted Bodge It Logo around 100mm x 73 mm~ 3-4mm deep. Note the invert function takes the regular G code and reverses the code order not a good idea as it re cuts seach layer.


Oh and not forgetting the picture of the Wind and Solar powered speed caution signs seen on roads around Gloucester.

Post a Comment