Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pictures of the rebuilt Bertha now as a CNC

A work in progreess with axis transion speeds of > 30mm /s

I'm working on making the as yet unsupported trapezoidal spindle drive shaft to make it so that its supported with bearings, this will allow a much higher axis transition speed. I'm also will be improving the rigidity of the Y axis by adding two more 8mm y Axis slide bars the beauty of using the nylon blocks as the mounting method has saved around £70 the cost of a traditional CNC slide system.



Here is a picture of the first test routing performed.. using a cone shaped dremel bit no 125



I am still having intermitent problems with the Z Axis home opto sensor despite ex-changing the sensor for another one and changing the parallel printer port input pin from 12 to 13, using USB double screend cable and adding high and low value capacitanc to the 5v supply pins on the Opto sensor PCB.
I have also reduced the length of the sensor cable run that is spiro wraped with the stepper and dremel power cables. curently run out of ideas to solve the problem.
Correction its a Dremel look alike from Aldi.. I do have a puka Dremel as well as several other imitations. I also have a giant 700W dremel type tool from the B&Q P Pro range this will be used on Big Bertha .. Yes a 700w with a small collete pin chuck just like a dremel.

More pictures of Bertha and its insides on the BodgeITQuickTools blog.

Ps Midge just asked why I didnt sand the test piece to make it look better. It is as it is off of Bertha.. I didnt use a small dremel 105 engraving bit as I did not know if Bertha would work hence it is a rough cut in the beach ply that is 0.02mm deep (If my stepper configuration settings are correct ) I dont know the speed of the cutting either but it was finished /done in less than 2 min.
Post a Comment